Lemon-Ginger detox tea
Posted on September 3rd, 2016
Cleanses are the perfect way to hit reset and restore balance to our bodies. In order to live our best and happiest lives, we must make sure our bodies and minds are free from disease and toxins. Unhealthy diets, excess stress and lack of exercise cause our body to stray from balance. Ayurveda recommends regular cleanses, particularly at the beginning of each season to help strengthen our digestive system. A healthy digestive system is imperative in Ayurveda as it’s the source of our agni, the fire that is responsible for digestion and elimination of wastes and toxins. When our agni is low, toxins or ama build up.
Detox teas are perfect whenever you need to cleanse your internal organs. I recently tried Kate Hudson’s Lemon-Ginger Detox Tea in her book “Pretty Happy”. I felt I had been putting foods into my system that were lowering my vibration so I wanted a clean state. I just finished a cup and now my focus is perfect for meditation!
1 (4 inch) piece fresh ginger
6 cups filtered water
2 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon raw honey per mug
Squeeze of lemon juice per mug
1. Peel the ginger and slice it thinly on an angle. Use the side of the knife to smash the ginger (exposing more surface area).
2. In a large saucepan, combine the ginger slices and water and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Add the cinnamon sticks, turmeric, and cayenne and simmer for another 10 minutes.
4. Strain into a mug (you can refrigerate the rest to enjoy later).
5. . Stir in the honey and lemon.
Voila! Enjoy! xo